Canoeing & Kayaking
How to get here
A History of Pittston Farm
By Durward J. Ferland, Jr.back to History
Great Northern Paper Company purchased the entire township of Pittston Academy Grant, including Pittston Farm, in 1906. They began building what is now the present farm 500 yards west of the old log buildings. Work on the new farm began in 1908 and had been completed by 1914, and included two,two-and-one-half story houses to accommodate employees and guests of the company. There were also three barns to hold 124 horses, a frost-proof vegetable house, a cannery, a slaughter house, an office, a water tower, a blacksmith shop, a boat house, a power house, a carriage house and a company storehouse
The farm's annual production, from the time of completion until 1946, was 5,000 bushels of potatoes, 1,200 of oats, 15 bushels of carrots, 15 bushels of beets, 10 bushels of turnips, and 12 tons of hay. The cleared land for fanning at this time was 100 acres. In 1948, Pittston Farm was no longer considered a working farm, and soon thereafter, all the fields were replanted with spruce. Pittston Farm remained a center of activity, excluding 1957 and 1958 when it was closed for a year due to an oversupply of pulpwood, until 1971, when the end of the log drives marked the end of its usefulness. From 1973 to 1991, Great Northern Paper Company allowed the Boy Scouts of America to use Pittston Farm for the summer months as the Seboomook base of their North Woods Adventure program.
In March of 1992, Pittston Farm was purchased by Ken and Sonja Twitchell and a long process of restoration began. After 15 months of intense restoration, the Twitchell's opened Pittston Farm Lodge. The new boarding house, office building, lower barn and the blacksmith shop have been restored. Pittston Farm is now home to an inn, restaurant, sporting camps, and campground. Homemade patchwork quilts, all-you-can-eat meals and top quality hospitality greet all visitors. There are accommodations for 60 guests in the main lodge, and there are several other camps and houses to provide accommodations for an array of needs. Three meals a day, including the all-you-can eat lumber jack style buffet, are served all year in the restaurant that seats 65.Back to History
Back to top